I’ve been an inconsistent tither my whole life. My excuse? “I don’t have extra money to give. He understands. He wouldn’t want us to go without.” Yes, He is an understanding God and yes, He loved me despite of my inconsistent tithing. And when I say inconsistent, I really mean hardly ever. I would normally tithe at church if I had cash on me the time. (I use my debit card for everything so I NEVER have cash on me.) Are you starting to see the pattern?
Just a warning here… I’m about to get really transparent and talk about things that I would normally never want the world to know. But, what God is doing in my life is so amazing and He can do it in your life too, so I just have to talk it. So here goes!
“Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Matthew 5: 1-16
There is something quite enchanting about these verses. Something to ponder, something to grow, something to love. I love how Jesus speaks to me and tells me He loves me when I need it most. He truly is a God of love. During these weeks when Spring begins to set in, I am reminded even more of His love for us. He makes such beautiful things and brings us flowers every spring.